Portage-du-Fort is a small, historic village located on the Ottawa River. It is also the home of the Pontiac School of the Arts and the perfect location for an on-location sketching workshop.
In this workshop we’ll explore Portage-du-Fort and, using our curiosity, and simple art tools, we
will create on-location sketches from direct observation
This workshop will be divided into two parts. The first part will cover methods, materials for
on-location sketching and techniques for direct observation. The second part will cover how to
select your main subject, creating thumbnail sketches and completion of a Portage-du-Fort
In this workshop participants will:
- Identify some of the challenges for on-location sketching and develop solutions.
- Review the art materials best suited for on-location sketching.
- Learn how to connect to your location by finding your “Why” and your “What” beforeeven picking up your pencil.
- Simplify your “What” by using thumbnails to determine the shapes and lines.
- Create a finished on-location sketch of Portage-du-Fort
- Silence your inner critic – the primary function of on-location sketching is not to be gallery-perfect or beautiful, but to capture what it feels like to be in a particular location on a particular day.
Frederick Frank once said, “I have learned that what I have not drawn I have never really seen,
and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is, a sheer
If you really want to explore the heritage, character or essence of the world around you, all you
really need is your curiosity, your eyes, a sketchbook and a pencil. Using these simple tools,
you will experience your environment in enhanced ways. You will also be creating a visual diary
of places where you live and visit.
Basic Supply list
Paper (in either a hard cover sketchbook or with a clipboard)
Pencil and/or pen for sketching
Kneaded rubber eraser
Small folding stool
Optional Supply list
Coloured markers, coloured pencils, and or watercolour pencils
Portable watercolour or gouache palette (no oils or acrylics)
Good quality watercolour or mixed media sketchbook
Small plastic water bottle and paper towels
Registration fee: Members $60.00, non members $70.00
See list of material to bring
By mail : Complete the application and mail